Trailhead: Pawnee Road Trailhead
Closest City / Town: Manitou Springs, Colorado
- From Colorado Springs, head west down Highway 24.
- Get off at the Manitou Avenue exit and head left (westerly direction).
- Continue on Manitou Avenue through the City of Manitou Springs.
- Approximately halfway through Manitou Springs, take a left (south) on Pawnee Avenue.
- Continue up Pawnee, which is a very steep paved road, until it turns into a gravel road.
- There is a small parking area on the right next to a large drainage. This is the trailhead parking lot.
Hiking Distance: approximately 2.5 miles (roundtrip)
Description: The trail begins by heading out west along the Paul Intemann Trail. Approximately 0.5 miles from the trailhead, you’ll see a sign for the Red Mountain spur trail. Take a left at the junction, and head up to the the top of Red Mountain. It is 0.75 miles, all uphill, to the top.
The trail ends at a false summit. There is an old building foundation at the top. Word has it that the area was actually used as a gentleman’s club many years ago. One other note, the Intemann Trail Committee constructed the entire trail.
Worth Noting: The views of Pikes Peak, Colorado Springs, and Manitou Springs are epic – especially from the top of Red Mountain. Palmer Land Trust holds a conservation easement on much of the Red Mountain Open Space.